Federal Recovery Programs and BEA Statistics
This table displays the estimated effects of the Making Work Pay tax credit provision of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA) and the “payroll tax holiday” provision of the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 on selected NIPA components of disposable personal income and federal receipts and expenditures.
- View Table (PDF - updated June 30, 2013)
The estimated effect of ARRA on selected NIPA estimates of federal receipts and expenditures.
- View Table (PDF)
- Notes on Revisions: August 2013 (PDF), August 2012 (PDF), August 2011 (PDF), November 2010 (PDF)
The NIPA allocation of ARRA outlays through March 31, 2013.
- View Table (PDF)
- View Chart (PDF)
- How did the payroll tax holiday and the expiration of the Making Work Pay Credit affect disposable personal income for January 2011?
- How is the COBRA premium assistance provision of ARRA classified in the national income and product accounts (NIPAs)?
- How is the federal Consumer Assistance to Recycle and Save Act of 2009 (i.e., the CARS program) reflected in the national income and product accounts (NIPAs)?
- Where do government-sponsored enterprises (GSEs), like Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, appear in the GDP accounts?
- How do federal financial interventions, such as the Emergency Economic Stabilization Act of 2008, affect the national accounts?
- How does the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008 impact NIPA corporate profits?
- How are the rebates for individuals in the 2008 Economic Stimulus Act recorded in the NIPAs?
For more information about quarterly statistics for government receipts and expenditures, please see the quarterly Survey of Current Business article “Government Receipts and Expenditures”
- Third quarter of 2009 (PDF) – December 2009
- Second quarter of 2009 (PDF) – September 2009
- First quarter of 2009 (PDF) – June 2009
- Third quarter of 2008 (PDF) – December 2008
Detailed analysis of GDP releases can be found in the monthly Survey of Current Business article “GDP and the Economy”
Other Survey articles of note:
- Analyzing Federal Programs Using BEA Statistics: A Look at Unemployment Insurance Benefits Payments (PDF) - September 2011
- NIPA Translation of the Fiscal Year 2010 Federal Budget (PDF) – June 2009
- The 2008 Financial Crisis and the National Accounts (PDF) – February 2009
- A Primer on BEA’s Government Accounts (PDF) – March 2008
Information on the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009
- April 2010 Survey (PDF)
- Page 65, discussion of transfer receipts associated with the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA)
- January 2010 Survey (PDF)
- Page 50-51, discussion of impact with state-level tables
- November 2009 Survey (PDF)
- Page 70, discussion of impact with table
Information on the Economic Stimulus Act of 2008
- September 2009 Survey (PDF)
- Page 286, discussion of income tax rebates
- Pages 289-290, table of economic stimulus payments for metropolitan areas
- January 2009 Survey (PDF)
- Page 68, Economic stimulus payments for first and second quarter 2008
- October 2008 Survey (PDF)
- Page 134, discussion with a chart of per capita income by state
- Pages 135-137, discussion of stimulus payments and the Southeast Region
- Page 138, table of state payments of stimulus payments
Selected NIPA Tables
Government Current Receipts and Expenditures Statistics:
- Table 3.1. Government Current Receipts and Expenditures (A) (Q)
- Table 3.2. Federal Government Current Receipts and Expenditures (A) (Q)
- Table 3.3. State and Local Government Current Receipts and Expenditures (A) (Q)
Other selected underlying detail government tables:
- Table 3.4U. Personal Current Tax Receipts (Q)
- Table 3.12U. Government Social Benefits (Q)
- Table 3.24U. Federal Grants-in-Aid to State and Local Governments (Q)
- Table 5.10. Capital Transfers Paid and Received, by Sector and by Type (A)
For more NIPA tables, please see the interactive tables section.
BEA Advisory Committee Presentations
November 6, 2009
- Monitoring Economic Stimulus in the NIPAs: Update on Economic Conditions (PDF)
- Federal Economic Stimulus in the NIPAs (PDF)
May 1, 2009
- Measuring the Rapidly Changing Economy: GDP, National Income, Financial Sector, and Government Programs (PDF)
- Measuring the Rapidly Changing Economy: Industry Economic Accounts (PDF)
- Measuring the Rapidly Changing Economy – International Aspects (PDF)
November 7, 2008
- The Effect of the Financial Crisis on the "Real Economy"; Separating Financial from Real Effects in the Current GDP Statistics (PDF)
On October 29, 2009, Steven Landefeld testified before the Joint Economic Committee about the 2009 third quarter GDP release and the effects of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act.