Research at BEA | Staff Biography
Katz, Arnold J.
National Accounts Research Group
Current Areas of Interest
- Conceptual foundations of NIPA treatments
- Measurement of capital services and net stocks
- "Explaining Long-term Differences Between Census and BEA Measures of Household Income"
- "Accounting for Obsolescence: An Evaluation of Current NIPA Practice"
- "An Overview of BEA's Source Data and Estimating Methods for Quarterly GDP"
- Paper presented at the 10th OCED-NBS Workshop on National Accounts
- Paris, France on November 6-10, 2006
- “Accounting for Maintenance and Repairs”
- Bureau of Economic Analysis Discussion Paper No. 54, May 1994
- "Alternative Tax Policies to Stimulate Investment"
- Bureau of Economic Analysis Discussion Paper No. 42, August 1989
- "Conceptual Issues in the Measurement of Economic Depreciation, Capital Input, and the Net Capital Stock"
- Bureau of Economic Analysis Discussion Paper No. 30, July 1988
- "A Model of Federal Personal Income Tax Receipts for the BEA Quarterly Econometric Model"
- Bureau of Economic Analysis Discussion Paper | No. 17, April 1987
- "An Investment Equation with Separate Cost of Capital Components"
- Bureau of Economic Analysis Discussion Paper No. 2, March 1986
- An earlier version of this paper was presented at the Fifth International Symposium on Forecasting
- Montreal, Canada on June 9-12, 1985
- "Estimating Dwelling Services in the Candidate Countries: Theoretical and Practical Considerations in Developing Methodologies Based on a User Cost of Capital Measure"
- in W. Erwin Diewert, Bert M. Balk, Dennis Fixler, Kevin J. Fox, and Alice O. Nakumura (eds.) in Price and Productivity Measurement, Vol. 1: Housing. Trafford Press, 2009
- “Estimating Dwelling Services in the Candidate Countries: Theory and Application of the User Cost of Capital Measure"
- Paper presented at the Regional Coordinators’ Workshop of the International Comparison Program | 2003–2005
- Luxembourg, March 24 – 28, 2003
- "The Chain-Additivity Issue and the U.S. National Economic Accounts"
- with Ehemann, Christian; Katz, Arnold J.; and Moulton, Brent R.
- Journal of Economic and Social Measurement, 28 (1-2), 2002: 37-49
- Download available for purchase
- Fixed Reproducible Tangible Wealth, 1925-94
- Primary author of U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, August 1999
- "Improved Estimates of Fixed Reproducible Tangible Wealth, 1929-95"
- with Shelby W. Herman
- Survey of Current Business 77 (May 1997): 5–69
- “Accounting for Mineral Resources: Issues and BEA’s Initial Estimates"
- with Carol S. Carson and J. Steven Landefeld
- Survey of Current Business 74 (April 1994): 50–72
- "An Analysis of Trends in the Intensity of U.S. Capital Formation and Their Determinants"
- Journal of Policy Modeling, 8(3), Fall 1986: 433-469.
- This paper was also presented at the Sixty-first Annual Western Economic Association International Conference held in San Francisco, California on July 1-5, 1986
- "Valuing the Services of Consumer Durables"
- Review of Income and Wealth, Series 29, December 1983: 405-427
- "The Value of Services Provided by the Stock of Consumer Durables, 1947-79: Alternative User Cost Measures"
- in BEA Working Paper No.2: Measuring Nonmarket Economic Activity
- Springfield, VA.: National Technical Information Service, December 1982, Accession No. PB 83-167-395
- "Bounding the Cash-Equivalent Value of In-Kind Income"
- Paper presented at the Meetings of the Allied Social Science Associations held in New York, N.Y in December 1982
- "The Value of Services Provided by the Stock of Consumer Durables, 1947-77: An Oppurtunity Cost Measure"
- Survey of Current Business 60 (July 1980): 22–31
- The Cash Equivalent of In-Kind Income
- with Cooper, Gershon
- Springfield, Va.: National Technical Information Service, April 1978, Accession No. PB 276-767