The "NIPA Handbook" begins with introductory chapters that describe the fundamental concepts, definitions, classifications, and accounting framework that underlie the national income and product accounts (NIPAs) of the United States and the general sources and methods that are used to prepare the NIPA estimates. It continues with separate chapters that describe the sources and methods that are used to prepare the expenditure and income components of the accounts and presents an appendix that defines each entry in the seven summary NIPA accounts and a glossary of terms that are associated with the NIPAs. The Handbook is intended to be a living reference that can be updated to reflect changes in concepts or methodology as they are introduced into the NIPAs.
This release of the NIPA Handbook updates the existing chapters to reflect the 2017 annual update of the NIPAs and incorporates a new chapter 12 for Rental Income of Persons. Additional chapters will be incorporated as they become available.
- Chapters 1-4: Concepts, Source Data, and Estimating Methods November 2017
- Chapter 5: Personal Consumption Expenditures November 2017
- Chapter 6: Private Fixed Investment November 2017
- Chapter 7: Change in Private Inventories October 2016
- Chapter 8: Net Exports of Goods and Services December 2015
- Chapter 9: Government Consumption Expenditures and Gross Investment October 2016
- Chapter 10: Compensation of Employees November 2017
- Chapter 11: Nonfarm Proprietors' Income December 2015
- Chapter 12: Rental Income of Persons November 2017 New
- Chapter 13: Corporate Profits December 2015
- Appendix: Summary National Income and Product Accounts December 2015 Note: This appendix provides definitions of the entries in the NIPA 7 account summary table.
- NIPA Glossary October 2016