FAQs: Surveys of Foreign Direct Investment in the United States
You may always call for assistance (202) 606-5615 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. EDT
You may also call outside of work hours and leave a message at any time. Someone will return your call.
When communicating by email with BEA, please do not include sensitive Personally Identifiable Information (PII) in the text or in an unencrypted attachment.
Sensitive PII is information that can be used to distinguish or trace an individual’s identity, such as a Social Security Number (full or partial).
Any document containing sensitive PII that is attached to an email must be encrypted. Any email received by BEA that contains sensitive PII in the text or in an unencrypted attachment will be blocked and deleted.
If you have any questions, please contact us using the contact information on the survey you are completing.
- May I fax my report?
- May I have an extension of the due date for filing the report?
- May I file using an expired version of the form?
- Will BEA acknowledge receipt of my report if requested?
- Where can I find a copy of the International Surveys Industry (ISI) codes?
- How do I obtain a copy of the last report I filed?
- Who should provide the authorized signature on the report?
- Where do I mail reports?
- I received a "Notice of Failure To File" stating that my company has not complied with the reporting requirements. What should I do?
- The address/contact person to whom my survey reports are sent has changed. How do I update this information with BEA?
Survey Specific Questions
BE-12 Benchmark survey report
- I am required to file a BE-12 report. Which form do I file?
- I usually file the BE-15 annual survey. What is the difference between the BE-12 and the BE-15?
- What is the due date for filing the 2012 BE-12?
- Is it acceptable to file using a photocopied version of the BE-12 form?
- How do I report on the BE-12 if I am a limited partnership or have an interest in a limited partnership?
- I only own real estate in the United States. Why am I required to file a BE-12 report?
- I received a notice that I am required to file the 2012 BE-12. What should I do if the company no longer exists?
BE-13 Initial investment report
BE-15 Annual survey report
BE-605 Quarterly survey report
- The U.S. affiliate has more than one foreign parent. Must I file a separate BE-605 form to report transactions or accounts with each foreign parent?
- Our foreign parent has a different (percentage of) equity ownership than voting ownership. Which do we use to file the report?
- My foreign parent is located in one country but incorporated in another. Which country should I enter in item 13 of the form?
- Does Part VII -- Selected Annual Information -- need to be completed every quarter?
- What is reported in Parts V and VI of the BE-605?
- Should transactions between the U.S. affiliate and foreign affiliates of the foreign parent located in any of the U.S. territories or possessions be reported in Part VI -- Balances and Interest, Between U.S. Affiliate, as Consolidated, and Foreign Affiliates of the Foreign Parent?
- If the U.S. affiliate, as consolidated, is below the exemption threshold does it need to file a form?
- How do I report an initial investment on the BE-605 form?