Table 1.U.S. Resource Flows to Developing Countries and Multilateral Organizations, 1993-97
[Millions of dollars]
|(ouflows +; inflows -)||1993||1994||1995||1996||1997|
|Flows to Part I-Developing countries /1/||58,235||59,738||46,984||55,730||74,991|
|Official development assistance (ODA), net||10,123||9,927||7,367||9,377||6,878|
|Bilateral grants, net||8,496||8,301||6,387||7,672||5,633|
|Emergency and distress relief||669||1,132||789||585||340|
|Debt forgiveness (principal and interest)||667||226||128||175|
|Bilateral loans, net||-1,179||-1,017||-773||-755||-694|
|Food aid loans, amounts extended||293||146||109||152||153|
|Other loans, amounts extended||22||27||10||9||7|
|ODA rescheduling, amounts extended/3/||694||53||271|
|Amounts received and offsetting entries/4/||-2,188||-1,243||-892||-916||-1,125|
|Multilateral grants, capital subscriptions, and lending, net||2,806||2,643||1,753||2,460||1,939|
|Grants to UN agencies||749||852||718||732||739|
|Food aid through UN||302||283||258||178||253|
|Grants to other international organizations||227||208||196||266||264|
|Capital subscriptions (issuances)||1,541||1,312||594||1,300||700|
|Concessional lending to multilateral agencies, net||-13||-12||-13||-16||-17|
|Other official flows (OOF), net||140||867||1,473||1,118||287|
|Export-related transactions, amounts extended||450||715||612||922||1,265|
|Investment-related and other transactions, amounts extended||518||553||595||636||672|
|OOF rescheduling, amounts extended/5/||1,760||1,261||2,156||1,590||975|
|Amounts received and offsetting entries/4/||-2,588||-1,662||-1,890||-2,030||-2,625|
|Private flows at market terms, net||45,405||46,330||35,642||42,726||65,308|
|Direct investment abroad, net||20,562||21,407||23,228||23,308||29,962|
|Securities and bank credits, net||23,817||19,838||13,404||19,472||36,417|
|Private export credits under guarantee programs, net||-621||4,479||-780||943||2,697|
|Multilateral securities, net||1,647||606||-210||-997||-3,768|
|Grants by nongovernmental organizations, net||2,567||2,614||2,502||2,509||2,518|
|Flows to Part II-Developing countries in transition/1/||3,851||2,949||3,289||4,904||18,308|
|Official aid, net/6/||1,647||2,422||1,280||1,694||2,516|
|Other official flows, net||1,071||87||-8||-24||5|
|Private flows at market terms, net||825||146||1,720||2,939||14,740|
|Grants by nongovernmental organizations, net||308||294||297||295||1,047|
|U.S. GNP at current prices/7/||6,372,300||6,744,400||7,070,400||7,446,500||7,853,100|
|ODA as a percentage of GNP (percent)||.16||.15||.10||.13||.09|
|Total flows to Part I countries as a percentage of GNP (percent)||.91||.89||.66||.75||.95|
- Flows are net disbursements to Part I and Part II developing countries (includes development-oriented multilateral organizations) on the list of aid recipients as designated by the Development Assistance Committee of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development.
- Includes primarily administrative costs of agencies dedicated to foreign assistance.
- Includes new loans to retire outstanding credits and capitalize interest.
- Includes credit repayments, retirement of existing loans with proceeds from rescheduling, and offsetting entries related to debt forgiveness (principal only).
- Includes new loans to retire outstanding credits, capitalize interest, and convert defaulted credits of foreign borrowers under U.S. Government loan guarantee programs into long-term credits.
- Official flows to Part II countries that have the same concessional and qualitative features as ODA are designated official aid. Only flows to Part I countries are eligible to be recorded as ODA.
- GNP entries are standardized System of National Accounts data.
NOTE.In 1996, the Bahamas, Brunei, Kuwait, Qatar, Singapore, and the United Arab Emirates were reclassified from Part I to Part II status. In 1997, Bermuda, Cayman Islands, Cyprus, Falkland Islands, Hong Kong, Israel, and Taiwan were reclassified from Part I to Part II status, and Moldova shifted from Part II to Part I status.
Source: U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis, from information made available by operating agencies.
GNP Gross national product