Frequently Asked Questions
Guidelines for Citing BEA Information | ID: 1024 | Created: Apr-02-2013
Major changes in definitions and presentations are as follows:
- Recognize private and government expenditures on research and development as fixed investment.
- Recognize private expenditures on entertainment, literary, and other artistic originals as fixed investment.
- Expand the ownership transfer costs of residential fixed assets that are recognized as fixed investment, and improve the accuracy of the associated asset values and service lives.
- Measure the transactions of defined benefit pension plans on an accrual accounting basis by recognizing the costs of unfunded liabilities, and show the pension plans as a subsector of the financial corporate sector.
- Harmonize the treatment of wages and salaries throughout the NIPAs by consistently using accrual-based estimates.
- Change the reference year for the chain-type quantity and price indexes and for the chained-dollar estimates to 2009.
More information on these major changes in definitions as well as information on changes in presentations is available in “Preview of the 2013 Comprehensive Revision of the National Income and Product Accounts: Changes in Definitions and Presentations (PDF)" in the March 2013 Survey of Current Business. A detailed list of table changes is available in table 6 of the article.
Ask us a question...
Using the FAQ database | All FAQs are displayed when first visiting the page. They are ordered by most recent or recently updated and can be filtered by keyword search term, by category, and by manually selecting the page number buttons. To view any FAQ, click on the title to open the answer. Submitting a question is done by selecting the “Ask a question” tab along the top of the FAQ.
Selecting an FAQ | Clicking on the title of the FAQ will bring up the answer to the FAQ. Navigating back to the list of FAQs is done by selecting the tab “Latest FAQs”. A tab to ask a question specifically about this FAQ can be found at the top of the answer. Also, the FAQ id and date this FAQ was created or last modified is shown in the upper right hand corner.
Searching the FAQs | Enter a keyword search term and click the Search button to narrow FAQ selections. To return to all FAQs, click the Clear button or clear the keyword search field and click the Search button.
Filtering FAQs by category | Chose the category to filter by and click Apply button. This will display only the FAQs related to an assigned category. To return to all FAQs click the Clear button next to the search by keyword field or select ALL from the drop down menu and click Apply button.