Measuring the New Economy, by J. Steven Landefeld and
Barbara M. Fraumeni
Presented at the May 5, 2000 meeting of the BEA Advisory Committee.
This paper provides background information on the new economy and how
it relates to BEAs economic accounts. It is designed to answer the
- What is the new economy?
- Why is it important that the new economy be captured in GDP and BEAs
other economic accounts estimates?
- What do we know now about the size and impact of the new economy?
- Where does the new economy show up in the accounts?
- How well is the new economy recorded in the accounts?
- What should be BEAs highest priority in improving the capacity
of the accounts to measure the new economy?
Last changed: July 6, 2000