Household Production Satellite Account
What's the value of unpaid work done in the home? Things like cooking, cleaning, watching the kids, and so forth? Such unpaid work is not included in BEA's calculation of U.S. gross domestic product. Tracking its value in the Household Production Satellite Account provides significant insight that complements GDP. Going forward, we plan to periodically update this account. This project is part of ongoing efforts at BEA to produce economic statistics that go beyond GDP and that measure economic value outside the market economy.
- Accounting for Household Production in the National Accounts: An Update 1965–2020
Benjamin Bridgman, Andrew Craig, and Danit Kanal, Survey of Current Business, February 2022
- Data | Value of Household Production, 1947–2020
- Accounting for Household Production in the National Accounts: An Update, 1965–2017
Danit Kanal and Joseph Ted Kornegay, 2019 - Survey of Current Business 99(6)
- Data | Value of Household Production, 1947–2017
- "Accounting for Household Production in the National Accounts: An Update, 1965–2014"
Bridgman, Benjamin, February 2016 - Survey of Current Business
- "Accounting for Household Production in the National Accounts, 1965–2010"
Bridgman, Benjamin, Dugan, Andrew, Lal, Mikhael, Osborne, Matthew, Villones, Shaunda, May 2012 - Survey of Current Business
- "Accounting for Household Production: A Prototype Satellite Account Using the American Time Use Survey"
Landefeld, J. Steven Fraumeni, Barbara, Vojtech, Cindy M., 2009. Rev. Income Wealth 55(2), pp. 205–225
- "Accounting for Nonmarket Household Production within a National Accounts Framework"
Landefeld, J. Steven, McCulla, Stephanie H., 2000. Rev. Income Wealth 46(3), pp. 289–307
- "Guide on Valuing Unpaid Household Service Work"
UNECE, New York and Geneva 2017, December | BEA contributed to the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe's report, which sets out international standards for measuring household production.
- "Structural Transformation, Marketization, and Household Production around the World"
Bridgman, Benjamin, Duernecker, Georg, Herrendorf, Berthold, 2015. Working Paper 2015-11. Bureau of Economic Analysis. Published in the Journal of Development Economics. The satellite account methodology was applied to a large number of countries, giving internationally comparable estimates of the size of household production around the world.
- What is the Value of Household Work? - June 2012
What is Household Production?