Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account, U.S. and Prototype for States, 2017
The U.S. outdoor recreation economy accounted for 2.2 percent ($427.2 billion) of current-dollar gross domestic product (GDP) in 2017. The Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account (ORSA) also shows that inflation-adjusted (real) GDP for the outdoor recreation economy grew by 3.9 percent in 2017, faster than the 2.4 percent growth of the overall U.S. economy. Real gross output, compensation, and employment all grew faster in outdoor recreation than for the economy as a whole.
- Current Release: September 20, 2019
- Next Release: Fall 2020
Browse the MapGet an overview of outdoor recreation economic activity across all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- State Outdoor Recreation Tables Format New Information!
- Detailed Poster: How Big is the Outdoor Recreation Economy?
- Infographic: How Big is Outdoor Rec?
- Bicycling: What’s included in output by activity?
- Boating: What’s included in output by activity?
- Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account: Updated Statistics, 2012-2016 Capitol Hill Briefing, September 2018
- Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account BEA Advisory Committee Meeting, November 2017
- Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account: Recreation by the Numbers Federal Visitation and Economic Data Seminar, September 2017
- Legislative Background: Outdoor Recreation Jobs and Economic Impact Act of 2016 Public Law 114–249 114th Congress, December 2016
- Preparing State-Level Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account Estimates
- Preparing the Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account
- Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account: Updated Statistics Survey of Current Business, September 2018
- Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account Methodology
- Introducing the Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account Survey of Current Business, March 2018
- Fact Sheet: What is GDP?
- Prototype Stats Show Each State's Outdoor Recreation Economy
- Coming Soon: State Outdoor Recreation Statistics
- Prototype Statistics: Outdoor Recreation Accounted for 2 Percent of GDP in 2016
- Swim, Sail or Ski to bea.gov for an Outdoor Rec Preview
- Coming Soon: BEA to Release Prototype Statistics on the Economic Impact of Outdoor Recreation
- BEA Moves Ahead on Developing Plan to Measure the Economic Impact of Outdoor Recreation
- Send Us Your Suggestions About Outdoor Recreation Statistics
- More Time to Weigh in on New Project Measuring Outdoor Recreation's Economic Impact
- New Data Project: Measuring the Economic Impact of Outdoor Recreation
- Coming Soon: An Enhanced Set of Outdoor Recreation Statistics
- How does the Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account (ORSA) compare with industry economic impact reports?
- Can the Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account (ORSA) show how much outdoor recreation contributed to the economy as a percent of GDP?
- What is gross output by industry and how does it differ from gross domestic product (or value added) by industry?
- What is a satellite account?
- How is the outdoor recreation economy captured in the core statistics currently produced by the Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA)?
- Will the Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account (ORSA) have regional as well as national level estimates?
What is the Outdoor Recreation Satellite Account?
Measures the economic activity as well as the sales or receipts generated by outdoor recreational activities, such as fishing and RVing. These statistics also measure each industry’s production of outdoor goods and services and its contribution to U.S. GDP. Industry breakdowns of outdoor employment and compensation are also included.