BEA introduced a new presentation of the International Transactions Accounts (ITAs) on June 18, 2014, a new presentation of the International Investment Position (IIP) accounts on June 30, 2014, and a new presentation of International Services on October 17, 2014. These new presentations reflect a comprehensive restructuring of the international economic accounts that enhances the quality and usefulness of the accounts and brings the accounts into closer alignment with international guidelines. For additional information, please see:
- The Comprehensive Restructuring of the International Economic Accounts: Changes in Definitions, Classifications, and Presentations | SCB, March 2014
- Factsheet on the Comprehensive Restructuring (PDF)
- Webinar: Comprehensive Restructuring of the International Economic Accounts, May 28, 2014
- Recorded Webinar (Streaming) | Slides from the Webinar (PDF) | Q&A from the Webinar (PDF)
International Transactions Accounts
- Comprehensive Restructuring and Annual Revision of the U.S. International Transactions Accounts, SCB, July 2014
- Comparison of Previous Standard ITA Table 1 With New ITA Table 1.2 (PDF)
Trade in Goods and Services
- Changes to Trade in Goods and Services and Comprehensive Restructuring of the International Economic Accounts
- Changes to Trade in Services and Comprehensive Restructuring of the International Economic Accounts
- U.S. International Services: Trade in Services in 2013 and Services Supplied Through Affiliates in 2012 | SCB, October 2014
International Investment Position
- The U.S. Net International Investment Position at the End of the First Quarter of 2014, Year 2013, and Annual Revisions | SCB, July 2014
Additional BEA Articles
Additional information on BEA’s plans to implement new international statistical standards and other improvements.
- Modernizing and Enhancing BEA’s International Economic Accounts: A Progress Report and Plans for Implementation | SCB, May 2013
- Modernizing and Enhancing BEA’s International Economic Accounts: A Progress Report | SCB, May 2012
- Modernizing and Enhancing BEA’s International Economic Accounts: A Progress Report | SCB, May 2011
- Modernizing and Enhancing BEA’s International Economic Accounts: Recent Progress and Future Directions | SCB, May 2010
- Key Aspects of U.S. Data and Metadata for CDIS - Presented at the CDIS Workshop in Luxembourg, June 8-10, 2011.
This presentation outlines the key aspects of the U.S. data submission for the IMF’s Coordinated Direct Investment Survey (CDIS).
Topics discussed include the type, characteristics, and sources of the data as well as BPM6 issues such as valuation methods and fellow enterprises.
- Strategy for Implementing the Sixth Edition of the Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual - IMF Statistics Department (2009)
- Balance of Payments and International Investment Position Manual, 6th edition – IMF (2009)
- Benchmark Definition of Foreign Direct Investment, 4th edition – OECD (2008)
(General information) InternationalAccounts@bea.gov
For more information regarding the comprehensive restructuring of the International Economic Accounts, please contact:
(301) 278-9561 | Paul.Farello@bea.gov