Ownership-based current account
The ownership-based framework is a supplement to the international transactions accounts (ITAs) that presents current account statistics combining cross-border trade with the net receipts of affiliates of multinational enterprises (MNEs). Statistics under this framework were published from 1995 through 2022. Statistics for 1982-2020, constructed using the latest data vintages available in February 2022, are available below. The series is described in the "Technical Documentation" below.
Because BEA has discontinued publication of the series, it is providing more complete technical documentation, as well as a template for table 2 that users can use to update and extend the series when new data are released. The technical documentation describes the series in detail and provides full information on the steps needed to construct each data value. The template will assist users downloading newly released and revised BEA statistics and in constructing table 2 based on those downloaded statistics. The documentation and templates, which were last updated in December 2022, are available below.
Templates and Data Source Details:
- Ownership-Based Framework template XLS
- Sample Ownership-Based Framework 2019 XLSX
- AMNE template XLSX
- Sample AMNE 2019 XLSX
- Ownership-Based Framework Data Sources XLSX
The following statistics are supplemental detail that in most cases were provided in response to special requests. BEA cannot fulfill such requests in many cases, but when we are able to fulfill them, we provide equal access to the information by posting it in this section.
Balance of Payments (International Transactions)
- U.S. Government Capital Subscriptions in and Contributions to International Financial Institutions Excluding the International Monetary Fund, Transactions and Positions, 1976:IV-2017:IV XLSX
- Trends in Digitally-Enabled Trade in Services, 1998-2010 PDF
- Personal Transfers, 1992:I – 1998:IV XLS (Also available in PDF format)
For statistics beginning with 1999, see Table 5.1, line 9, of the U.S. International Transactions Accounts.
- Transfers under U.S. Military Agency Sales Contracts Including All Goods and Services, 1999:I – 2016:I
> Direct Defense Expenditures Including All Goods and Services, 1999:I – 2016:I XLS
These tables were updated for the last time on June 16, 2016.
- Revisions to U.S. Government Payments, 2009 - 2011 XLS
- Transactions in Long-term Securities, 1970-1981 XLS
International Transactions and Positions in Financial Derivatives Other Than Reserves
- International Transactions and Positions (Fair Values) in Financial Derivatives Other Than Reserves, 2015:I – 2017:I XSLX
Operations of Multinational Companies
- Selected Data on Foreign Direct Investment in the United States by State and Country of Ultimate Beneficial Owner (UBO), 2003-2006 Zipped XLS
- In addition to the countries in the standard tables for these years, estimates are presented for Australia, the European Union, Italy, Mexico, and Sweden.
- Production of Intangible Assets and Associated Income for U.S. Affiliates of Foreign Companies, 1992, 1997, 2002, and 2007 XLSX
- Profits and employment of foreign affiliates of U.S. companies and U.S. affiliates of foreign companies in high-tech industries, 1999, 2004, and 2009 XLSX
- Selected Financial and Operating Data of U.S. Multinational Companies by Industry and Employment Size Class of the U.S. Parent, 2004 to 2007 XLS
- External Financing of Majority-Owned Nonbank Foreign Affiliates for 1983-1998 Zipped XLS (Also available in PDF format)