Health Care Satellite Account
Health care statistics are more than numbers about spending and economic growth. They help Americans understand the delivery of care that's essential to their lives.
To better measure spending trends and treatment prices, BEA developed a set of supplemental statistics called the Health Care Satellite Account. These statistics give policymakers, researchers and the public another way of understanding the economics of health care.
The satellite account measures U.S. health care spending by the diseases being treated (for example, cancer or diabetes) instead of by the types of goods and services purchased (such as doctor's office visits or drugs). At the same time, BEA continues to produce the traditional goods-and-services health care estimates that are part of its core statistics, such as gross domestic product.
Within the satellite account, there are two different sets of disease-based statistics. One version uses data from the Medical Expenditure Panel Survey, the only nationally representative survey that contains detailed expenditure information by disease. BEA calls this the "MEPS Account." Because of its relatively small sample size, the MEPS Account produces more volatile estimates across years. To address this issue, we also produce the "Blended Account," which blends together data from multiple sources, including large claims databases that cover millions of enrollees and billions of claims.
Looking at spending by disease is a first step toward BEA's goal of developing an account that allows better assessment of value in health care spending. BEA continues to conduct research to expand and improve its health statistics.
- The latest...
- Also of interest...
Methodology and Application
- Introducing the New Health Care Satellite Account PDF
- Health Care Spending Slowdown From 2000 To 2010 Was Driven By Lower Growth In Cost Per Case, According To A New Data Source
Publications and Working Papers
- National Accounting - Methodology and Application
- Introducing the New Health Care Satellite Account PDF Abe Dunn, Lindsey Rittmueller and Bryn Whitmire - Survey of Current Business, January 2015
- Toward a Health Care Satellite Account PDF Ana Aizcorbe, Bonnie Retus, and Shelly Smith - Survey of Current Business, May 2008
- A Reconciliation of Health Care Expenditures in the National Health Expenditure Accounts and in Gross Domestic Product PDF PDF Caitlin (CMS), Hartman (CMS), Kornfeld (BEA) - Survey of Current Business, September 2010
- Household Consumption Expenditures for Medical Care: An Alternate Presentation PDF Ana Aizcorbe, Eli B. Liebman, David M. Cutler, and Allison B. Rosen - Survey of Current Business, June 2012
- Recent Research on Disease-Based Price Indexes: Where Do We Stand? PDF Ana Aizcorbe - Survey of Current Business, July 2013
- Measurement - Price and Utilization Growth
- An Updated Analysis of the Roles of Cost per Case and Treated Prevalence in Health Spending Growth PDF Charles Roehrig and Craig Lake - Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper (WP2017-8)
- A Comparison of Bureau of Economic Analysis and Bureau of Labor Statistics Disease-Price Indexes PDF Charles Roehrig - Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper (WP2017-3)
- Adjusting Health Expenditures for Inflation: A Review of Measures for Health Services Research in the United States PDF Abe Dunn, Scott Grosse and Samuel Zuvekas - Health Services Research, November 2016
- Health Care Spending Slowdown From 2000 To 2010 Was Driven By Lower Growth In Cost Per Case, According To A New Data Source Abe Dunn, Lindsey Rittmueller and Bryn Whitmire - Health Affairs, Vol 35(1) pgs 132-140, January 2016
- Medical Care Expenditure Indexes for the US, 1980-2006 PDF Ana Aizcorbe and Tina Highfill - Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper, May 2015
- Estimating Regression Based Medical Care Expenditure Indexes for Medicare Advantage Enrollees PDF Anne Hall – BEA Working Paper (WP2014-11)
- Do Physicians Possess Market Power? PDF Abe Dunn and Adam Shapiro - Journal of Law and Economics Vol(57) February 2014
- Implications of Utilization Shifts on Medical-Care Price Measurement PDF Abe Dunn, Adam Shapiro and Eli Liebman. Health Economics. Vol. 24(5) Pages 539-537. May 2015
- Defining Disease Episodes and the Effects on the Components of Expenditure Growth PDF " Abe Dunn, Eli Liebman, Lindsey Rittmueller, and Adam Shapiro. Health Services Research, Forthcoming
- A Regression-Based Medical Care Expenditure Index for Medicare Beneficiaries PDF Anne E. Hall, Tina Highfill - BEA Working Paper (WP2013-4)
- Decomposing Medical-Care Expenditure Growth PDF Abe Dunn, Eli Liebman, and Adam Shapiro. Forthcoming in Measuring and Modeling Health Care Costs, NBER Volume, ed. by Aizcorbe, Baker, Berndt, Cutler. University of Chicago
- Changing Mix of Medical Care Services: Stylized Facts and Implications for Price Indexes PDF Ana Aizcorbe and Nicole Nestoriak - Journal of Health Economics, 30 (3): 568-574 (May 2011) - BEA Working Paper (WP2010-08)
- Medical Care Price Indexes for Patients with Employer-Provided Insurance: Nationally-Representative Estimates from MarketScan Data PDF Abe Dunn, Eli B. Liebman, Sarah Pack, Adam Shapiro - Health Services Research, October 2012
- Alternative Price Indexes for Medical Care: Evidence from the MEPS Survey PDF Aizcorbe, Bradley (BLS), Herauf, Kane, Liebman, Pack, Rozental (BLS) - BEA Working Paper (WP2011-01)
- Price Indexes for Prescription Drugs: A Review of the Issues PDF Ana Aizcorbe and Nicole Nestoriak - In The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of the Biopharmaceutical Industry, Danzon and Nicholson, eds. March 2012
- Drug Innovations and Welfare Measures Computed from Market Demand: The Case of Anti-Cholesterol Drugs PDF | Article Summary PDF Abe Dunn - American Economic Journal: Applied Economics , 4 (3): 167-89 (July 2012) - BEA Working Paper (WP2010-15)
- Prices and Utilization - Regional Differences
- Physician Competition and the Provision of Care: Evidence from Heart Attacks PDF Abe Dunn and Adam Shapiro, January 2016, American Journal of Health Economics, forthcoming
- Health Insurance and the Demand for Medical Care: Instrumental Variable Estimates Using Health Insurer Claims Data PDF Abe Dunn - Journal of Health Economics, Forthcoming
- Physician Market Power and Medical-Care Expenditures PDF | Article Summary PDF] Abe Dunn and Adam Shapiro - BEA Working Paper (WP2012-06)
- Geographic Variation in Commercial Medical-Care Expenditures: A Framework for Decomposing Price and Utilization PDF Abe Dunn, Adam Shapiro, and Eli B. Liebman - Journal of Health Economics, (2013), 32(6) pgs 1153- 1165. Technical Appendix
- Data and Methods
- The Complexity of Billing and Paying for Physician Care PDF Joshua Gottlieb, Adam Hale Shapiro, and Abe Dunn - Health Affairs, 37(4), April 2018
- Correcting for the 2007 MEPS Discontinuity in Medical Condition Spending and Treated Prevalence PDF Charles Roehrig - Altarum Center for Sustainable Health Spending Technical Report, June 2016
- Measuring Nursing Home Price Growth between 2000-2009 PDF Tina Highfill and David Johnson - Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper, July 2015
- Adjusting the Measurement of the Output of the Medical Sector for Quality: A Review of the Literature PDF Anne Hall - Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper, June 2015
- Does Medicare Part D Save Lives? PDF Abe Dunn and Adam Hale Shapiro - Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper, February 3, 2015
- Calculating Disease-Based Medical Care Expenditure Indexes for Medicare Beneficiaries: A Comparison of Method and Data Choices PDF Anne E. Hall and Tina Highfill - Bureau of Economic Analysis Working Paper, November 2013
- Using Disability Adjusted Life Years to Value the Treatment of Thirty Chronic Conditions in the U.S. from 1987-2010 PDF Tina Highfill and Elizabeth Bernstein - BEA Working Paper (WP2014-9)
- Developing a Framework for Decomposing Medical-Care Expenditure Growth: Exploring Issues of Representativeness PDF Abe Dunn, Eli Liebman and Adam Hale Shapiro - in Measuring Economic Sustainability and Progress, NBER Book Series Studies in Income and Wealth, September 2014. Dale Jorgenson, Steven Landefeld, and Paul Schreyer, eds.
- Measuring Health Care Costs of Individuals with Employer-Sponsored Health Insurance in the U.S.: A Comparison of Survey and Claims Data PDF | Article Summary PDF Ana Aizcorbe, Eli B. Liebman, Sarah Pack, David M. Cutler, Michael Chernew, Alison B. Rosen – Statistical Journal of the IAOS 28 (2012) 43–51 - BEA Working Paper (WP2010-06)
- Comparing Commercial Systems for Characterizing Episodes of Care PDF Allison B. Rosen, Eli Liebman, Ana Aizcorbe, and David M. Cutler - BEA Working Paper (WP2012-7)
- Industry Accounts
- Disease-Based Health Care Measures and the Industry Economic Accounts PDF Patricia A. Washington, Daniel W. Jackson, and David B. Wasshausen, Survey of Current Business, November 18, 2015
- Appendix C: Adapting BEA's National and Industry Accounts for a Health Care Satellite Account PDF Brent R. Moulton, Brian C. Moyer and Ana Aizcorbe – Strategies for a BEA Satellite Health Care Account: Summary of a Workshop, March 2008
- Measuring Productivity for the US Health Sector PDF Ana Aizcorbe, Gabriel Medeiros and Erich Strassner – Presented at Canadian Economic Association annual meetings in Montreal, Canada, May 26, 2013
- BLS Experimental Index