The "NIPA Handbook" begins with introductory chapters that describe the fundamental concepts, definitions, classifications, and accounting framework that underlie the national income and product accounts (NIPAs) of the United States and the general sources and methods that are used to prepare the NIPA estimates. It continues with separate chapters that describe the sources and methods that are used to prepare the expenditure and income components of the accounts and presents an appendix that defines each entry in the seven summary NIPA accounts and a glossary of terms that are associated with the NIPAs. The Handbook is intended to be a living reference that can be updated to reflect changes in concepts or methodology as they are introduced into the NIPAs.
This release of the NIPA Handbook updates the existing chapters to reflect the 2018 annual update of the NIPAs. Additional chapters will be incorporated as they become available.
- Chapters 1-4: Concepts, Source Data, and Estimating Methods PDF | December 2020
- Chapter 5: Personal Consumption Expenditures PDF | December 2020
- Chapter 6: Private Fixed Investment PDF | December 2020
- Chapter 7: Change in Private Inventories PDF | November 2019
- Chapter 8: Net Exports of Goods and Services PDF | December 2020
- Chapter 9: Government Consumption Expenditures and Gross Investment PDF | November 2019
- Chapter 10: Compensation of Employees PDF | November 2019
- Chapter 11: Nonfarm Proprietors' Income PDF | December 2020
- Chapter 12: Rental Income of Persons PDF | November 2019
- Chapter 13: Corporate Profits PDF | December 2020
- Appendix: Summary National Income and Product Accounts PDF | May 2019
This appendix provides definitions of the entries in the NIPA 7 account summary table.
- NIPA Glossary PDF | November 2019
All-Chapters PDF | December 2020