|Gross Private Domestic Investment in Intellectual Property Products
Real Change From Preceding Quarter
|Q2 2021 (2nd)||+14.6 %|
|Q1 2021 (3rd)||+15.6 %|
|Q4 2020 (3rd)||+10.2 %|
Investment in research and development (R&D) and other intellectual property contributes to innovation and U.S. economic growth. BEA's fixed investment statistics measure both business and government spending on intellectual property. Quarterly data on private fixed investment in intellectual property products are part of the gross domestic product news releases. Annual statistics include detailed data on spending by businesses and nonprofits on R&D; software; and entertainment, literary, and artistic originals. Annual government statistics include federal spending on R&D and software and spending by state and local governments combined.
- Table 1.1.1 Percent Change From Preceding Period in Real Gross Domestic ProductLine 12
- Table 5.6.4. Price Indexes for Private Fixed Investment in Intellectual Property Products by Type
- Table 5.6.5 Private Fixed Investment in Intellectual Property Products by Type
- Table 5.6.6. Real Private Fixed Investment in Intellectual Property Products by Type, Chained Dollars
- Table 5.9.4. Price Indexes for Gross Government Fixed Investment by Type
- Table 5.9.5. Gross Government Fixed Investment by Type Line 57
- Table 5.9.6. Real Gross Government Fixed Investment by Type, Chained Dollars
- Fixed Assets Accounts Data on private and government intellectual property are also included in BEA's fixed assets tables.
- NIPA handbook of concepts and methods for Private Fixed Investment PDF
- NIPA handbook of concepts and methods for Government Consumption Expenditures and Gross Investment PDF
- The Evolving Treatment of R&D in the U.S. National Economic Accounts PDF March 2020
- Depreciation of Business R&D Capital August 2016
- Research Spotlight: Artistic Originals as Capital Assets PDFSurvey of Current Business, June 2011
- Industry-level Output Price Indexes for R&D: An Input-cost Approach with R&D Productivity Adjustment PDFDecember 2012
- Measuring the Price of Research and Development Output PDFFebruary 2009
- Toward Better Measurement of Innovation and Intangibles PDF Survey of Current Business, January 2009
- Innovation Measurement: Tracking the State of Innovation in the American Economy PDF Advisory Committee on Measuring Innovation in the 21st Century Economy
- Recognition of Business and Government Expenditures for Software as Investment: Methodology and Quantitative Impacts, 1959-98 PDF
What are Intellectual Property Products?
Intellectual property products are research and development; software; and entertainment, literary, and artistic originals. They are measured as fixed investments because they are used repeatedly in production processes and provide long-lasting service to the businesses, nonprofit institutions, and government agencies that invest in them.