BEA's surveys of foreign direct investment (FDI) in the United States collect information that is used to compile statistics on the scale of foreign-owned business activities in the United States and the effects these activities have on the U.S. economy. Business leaders look to these statistics to make informed decisions about hiring and investing. Policymakers and researchers use them to analyze the impacts of foreign direct investment on employment, wages, productivity and tax revenues.
All surveys of foreign direct investment in the United States are mandatory and confidential.
Which survey do I file?
Select a box and scroll for more information.
No later than 45 days after the acquisition is completed, the new legal entity is established, or the expansion is begun.
Within 30 days after the end of your calendar or fiscal quarter. You have 45 days when reporting the final quarter of the financial reporting year.
May 31, 2018, or by June 30, 2018 for reporting companies that submit their form using the eFile system.
These forms are currently past due. Please file the survey forms as soon as possible.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- May I fax my report?
- May I have an extension of the due date for filing the report?
- May I file using an expired version of the form?
- Will BEA acknowledge receipt of my report if requested?
- How do I obtain a copy of a recent report I filed?
- Who should provide the authorized signature on the report?
- Where do I mail reports?
- I received a "Notice of Failure to File" stating that my company has not complied with the reporting requirements. What should I do?
- The address or contact person to whom my survey reports are sent has changed. How do I update this information with BEA?
- What happened to the BE-13 survey?
- If a foreign-owned U.S. affiliate uses funds generated from domestic activity for an acquisition, new establishment, or expansion as defined on the BE-13, is this a reportable transaction?
- If a foreign entity (X) purchases 5 percent of a U.S. company that is already 5 percent owned by foreign entity (Y), does this create a filing requirement?
- What is the difference between an "entity" and a "person"?
- How is ownership of voting interest determined in a limited partnership?
- How do I determine if I must file a BE-13 survey and which form to file?
- The U.S. affiliate has more than one foreign parent. Must I file a separate Form BE-605 to report transactions or accounts with each foreign parent?
- Our foreign parent has a different (percentage of) equity ownership than voting ownership. Which do we use to file the BE-605 report?
- My foreign parent is located in one country but incorporated in another. Which country should I enter on Form BE-605?
- Does the annual data section on the BE-605 form need to be completed every quarter?
- What is reported in the Payable and Receivable Balances Section of Form BE-605?
- Should transactions between the U.S. affiliate and foreign affiliates of the foreign parent located in any of the U.S. territories or possessions be reported on Form BE-605?
- If the U.S. affiliate, as consolidated, is below the exemption threshold does it need to file a BE-15 or BE-605 form?
- How do I report if I was contacted about Form BE-605 for the first time?