BE-12 Benchmark SurveyForeign Direct Investment in the United States
- New BE-12 survey forms for 2017 will be available early 2018.
- You'll be able to file the BE-12 online with eFile for 2017.
It's almost time for BEA's benchmark survey of foreign direct investment in the United States, conducted every five years.
- The BE-12 survey will take place in 2018 and covers fiscal years ending in 2017.
- All entities subject to the reporting requirements must file even if they are not contacted by BEA.
- Refer to our FAQs on this page to see who is required to file a BE-12 survey.
- Federal law protects the confidentiality of the data that companies report.
Why does BEA conduct a benchmark survey?
The BE-12 is BEA's most comprehensive survey on financial and operating data of U.S. affiliates of foreign multinational enterprises. The survey is used to produce statistics on the scale and effects of foreign-owned business activities in the United States. Business leaders use these statistics to inform decisions about hiring and investing. Policymakers and researchers use them to analyze the impacts of direct investment on jobs, wages, productivity and taxes.
Information for Survey Respondents
- Federal Register Notice detailing changes to the 2017 Benchmark BE-12 Forms
- New BE-12 survey forms for 2017 Available early 2018
- 2012 forms for reference ONLY. Expect changes for 2017.
- File Online with eFile Available early 2018
Blogs and Articles
- Survey of Current Business: Activities of U.S. Affiliates of Foreign Multinational Enterprises in 2015 (PDF)
- BEA Blog: Statistics on the Activities of U.S. Affiliates of Foreign Multinational Enterprises Now Available for 2015; Revised Data Available for 2014
- BEA Blog: Detailed Direct Investment Data for 2016 Now Available
- Survey of Current Business: Direct Investment Positions for 2016 (PDF)
Videos and Visuals
More About BEA's International Data and Surveys
- Guide to BEA's Direct Investment Surveys (PDF)
- Foreign Direct Investment in the United States, Quarterly and Annual Surveys
- BEA International Trade and Investment Country Facts