Arts and Cultural Production Satellite Account, U.S. and States 2016
Arts and cultural economic activity (2016)
The Arts and Cultural Production Satellite Account (ACPSA) released today by the U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Economic Analysis (BEA) shows that arts and cultural economic activity, adjusted for inflation, increased 2.9 percent in 2016. That compares with a 5.4 percent increase in 2015. Arts and cultural economic activity accounted for 4.3 percent of gross domestic product (GDP), or $804.2 billion, in 2016.Current Release
- Current Release: March 19, 2019
- Next Release: TBD
Artists, performers, museums and historical sites are vying to be seen, heard and appreciated by Americans every day. Yet the economic impact of these varied arts and cultural activities, and of supporting industries that range from Hollywood studios to hand carvers of musical instruments, is easy to miss.
BEA's satellite accounts spotlight economic activity that can be difficult to find within our core accounts – in this case, the impact of arts and culture on U.S. and state economies.
This account was built by identifying, analyzing and separating out detailed data from existing BEA statistics. Pulling together the arts and cultural data in one place paints a statistical picture that's valuable to state and federal policymakers, businesses, arts organizations, analysts, economists, and others.
Browse the MapGet an overview of arts and cultural economic activity across all 50 states and the District of Columbia.
- Includes contribution of arts and cultural activities to the nation's GDP; the sector's rate of growth, employment, compensation and more; data by industry and commodity.
- National Data for 1998-2016 ZIP
- Includes the number of arts and cultural employees and their compensation, with breakdowns by industry; the relative concentration of arts and cultural activities in the state. Data is available for all 50 states and DC.
- Download All State Summary Sheets Zipped | PDF
Contains reports for every state and D.C.
- State Data for 2001-2016 Zipped | XLSX | CSV Data files Zipped | CSV
- Arts and Culture Economy Grows 2.9 Percent in 2016
The BEA Wire, March 19, 2019
- Infographic: Impact of Arts and Culture on U.S. Economy in 2016
- Regional Quarterly Report
Survey of Current Business, June 2018
- New Arts and Culture Stats Zoom in on States
The BEA Wire, March 6, 2018
- Arts and Cultural Production Satellite Account: State Employment and Compensation in 2014 PDF
Survey of Current Business, September 2017
- U.S. Arts and Cultural Production Satellite Account, 1998-2012 PDF
Survey of Current Business, January 2015
- The Arts and Cultural Production Satellite Account
22nd International Input-Output Conference, July 2014
What is the Arts and Culture Satellite Account?
Highlights the economic impact of music groups, museums, photography, and more, including contributions to GDP, output, employment, and compensation. These data also include supporting arts industries, such as broadcasting and manufacturing.